Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
This is one of my favourite and easiest dishes to whip up for dinner. These Beef Burrito Bowls are really great for those nights where you’re not in the mood to cook something fancy – and instead of reaching for something frozen (something I used to do) it’s really fresh and very filling! Another beautiful thing about it is that it’s all combined in one easy bowl – you’ve got your beef, rice and beans plus your fresh veggies on top! And you can skip the heavy tortillas! Winning combination.
These burrito bowls are very easy to adapt to whatever you like! Lots of different options for toppings and sauces so you can really make it your own. In this recipe I used green cabbage for crunch instead of lettuce. When I made this the other night, I actually didn’t have any lettuce in the house. I felt like I needed some sort of crunch and freshness in my bowl so I decided to try the cabbage. And I loved it! The cabbage really holds up to the heat from the beef mixture and keeps its crunch. It has a very mild flavour on its own so it won’t overpower any of the other ingredients.
This recipe would also be great with chicken instead of beef. It would still taste great mixed in with the rice, beans, and other ingredients. If you really want to, you can skip meat altogether. There is easily enough protein in this meal without the meat – the beans and rice make it very filling.
At the very end I drizzled a nice sweet chili sauce over top of the whole bowl. I didn’t miss the salsa or sour cream. The avocado gives me the creaminess normally coming with sour cream. And the sweet chili gives a nice little bit of heat.
Beef Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 serving white basmati rice
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup green cabbage (chopped)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup white onion (diced)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Cook ground beef in garlic and onion and a drizzle of oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Add in black beans and cooked rice. Stir together.
- In bowls start layering ingredients. I start with cabbage on the bottom.
- Add next your beef, bean, and rice mixture.
- Add grated cheese over this so it can start to melt.
- Top with tomato and avocado.
- Drizzle sweet chili sauce over top.