Let’s start this post out with honesty – I was not the biggest fan of tofu in my early vegetarian and vegan days. The texture was squishy, it was SO flavourless and not really that appetizing. Fast forward to today – I love it! Mindset shift for one thing, I had to open myself up to something new. And of course, a fair bit of trial and error to find a really yummy way to cook tofu. This recipe for Crispy Tofu is The. Best. It’s crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and served with salty and spice dipping sauce. Yum!
Are there any sushi fans here? ME TOO! So we have this Agedashi Tofu at some of the restaurants here which is basically battered and fried tofu squares. And it was this recipe I set out to create at home with my crispy tofu because I loved it so much.
I’m all about creating recipes that are uncomplicated.
I want tasty, nutritious food made simple. Sound good to you too?
While this recipe is easy, it does take some time. Set up your breading stations first. You’ll need a bowl with any plant based milk you like, a plate with all-purpose flour and a separate plate for bread crumbs. After a couple failures, I figured out the best order with to coat the tofu squares is milk-flour-milk-bread crumbs. This creates a beautiful coating that actually sticks to the tofu.
I like to spice both the flour and the bread crumbs, because as I mentioned above tofu can be quite bland on its own. I use paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. But you can choose other spices you really enjoy as well.
Another small tip before I share the full recipe – try your best to keep one hand for the dry parts and one hand for the wet. You may still end up with gummy fingers, but it won’t be as bad.
I find I get the best results when I fry in about an inch of oil (I use Avocado oil) in a cast iron skillet – it provides even heat and doesn’t stick. Check out my favourite skillet here.
The full recipe is shared below! Crispy Tofu for the win. 🙂
Crispy Tofu Squares
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- avocado oil
- low sodium soy sauce
- hot sauce of choice I love Frank's
- Remove tofu from packaging and gently squeeze in paper towel or set under something heavy to squeeze out moisture.
- Cut tofu into bite size squares.
- Prep your breading station. Add spices to the flour and bread crumbs.
- With each square, dip in milk, then flour, then milk again and finally bread crumbs. Ensuring all sides are coated. Set aside.
- Using a cast iron skillet, pour roughly 1 inch of oil into the pan.
- Heat on medium heat. Stick an end of a wooden spoon into oil and if it bubbles up around it - the oil is hot enough.
- Carefully add in squares to skillet. You may have to split in two batches.
- Cook for roughly 2 minutes or until golden then flip squares over to cook the other side.
- When all sides are golden remove onto a paper towel lined plate to let some of the oil drip off.
- Mix together hot sauce and soy sauce in small dish for dipping.
- Serve while hot! Enjoy.