Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
Don’t you love that smell of cinnamon in your house? It reminds me of fall. Moving into September, my mind starts going to all the amazing fall foods that I get to start cooking again! The weather here may still be summery for a little while longer, but I’m ready for those cool weather foods; soups, pasta’s, and baking! Baking is always a little more difficult to get to the healthy side. It usually involves lots of sugar to get that sweet factor. These easy homemade Cinnamon Buns may not be my healthiest recipe but I think I got close!
I don’t think there’s really any substitute for that velvety brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon mixture in the middle of a cinnamon bun. At least I haven’t found anything yet – so let’s not rule it out. But hey, the dough for these buns is pretty good and the filling is a pretty small amount when you think about it. I really love these buns, they stay beautiful and soft, and are so perfect with a nice cup of tea.
This is a super simple recipe to put together, it takes only about 10 minutes before these babies are in the oven. It is a small recipe though – depending on the size of your household you may want to double this. Mine only made 8 small-medium sized buns. And they do disappear fast around here.
I decided not to add an icing glaze on these buns. I was happy I didn’t – I find those tooth achingly sweet sometimes. However It would be easy to mix a little milk with icing sugar if you wanted to drizzle over top of your own though. Do this when they’re fresh out of the oven and it’ll sink into the rolls perfectly.
Easy Homemade Cinnamon Buns
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp + tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (softened)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine all dough ingredients in stand mixer and mix until fully combined and dough comes to a ball.
- Roll on lightly floured surface until roughly ¼ inch thick. Try to get as much of a rectangle shape as possible.
- Mix together filling ingredients until smooth paste.
- Spread filling across rolled dough evenly.
- Tightly roll dough into log.
- Cut into buns. 2 inches thick or as big as you’d like. Roughly 8 buns.
- Place into greased baking dish.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely.