Breakfast is an important meal and it’s the one that sets your body (and mind) up for your day, giving you the energy and nutrients needed to keep you going. This Homemade Granola is nutritious and filling in the morning. Top it with berries and a splash of any plant based milk.
Granola is an easy thing to find in grocery stores. There are literally shelves of cereals and granola mixes to choose from. But most of them have a whole bunch of ingredients that are not needed, nor beneficial. Top of that list is sugar! I prefer making most things from scratch and at home – that way I know exactly what goes into it. This recipe is quick and easy and should last you roughly a week (depending on many people you’re feeding).
This is an easy recipe to have some fun with and add in other ingredients you may enjoy. It’s lovely and crunchy with a nice sweet bite from the raisins. You could add any other dried fruit you enjoy, something like dried cranberries would be great. Also, play around with the spices used. I really love cinnamon, it’s beautiful scent and subtle flavour. But cloves or nutmeg would be delicious also. I used a combination of quick cook oats and large steel-cut oats because that’s what I had on hand, you can easily do the whole recipe with one or the other. When I serve for breakfast, I usually top with blueberries, right now I’m using frozen, I just pop a bowl of them into the microwave for 30-40 seconds to soften them. Then I add a splash (roughly 1/2 cup) of unsweetened almond milk. And that’s it! Simple and delicious – a great way to start my day.
- 4 cups oats
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raw almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
- Add in wet ingredients and stir until all combined.
- Spread onto large baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes (or until golden). Check at 10 minute intervals and stir each time.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in your pantry in airtight container.