Granola bars are that perfect and nutritious (usually) on-the-go snack. But did you realize that most of the brands you buy from your grocery store are filled with unnecessary ingredients and loaded with added sugar? Have you ever thought of making your own? Does it sound complicated? It used to feel that way to me too. But I love these Homemade Granola Bars. No bake and really easy to put together, without all the added junk.
These days it can feel daunting walking through your grocery store. What’s good to eat, what’s bad? There’s mixed information everywhere! My belief is generally it will be better for you, if you make it yourself. That way you know every ingredient being used and you control the sweeteners added (which are SO overused in any pre-made and processed food).
This recipe uses simple ingredients; oats, almond butter, any dried fruit of your choice. All so nutritious. Also, easy to customize with your favourite fruit, dried works better as the bars hold together more. They stay soft and chewy which I love!
Homemade Granola Bars
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 3/4 cup raw almonds chopped
- 1 cup dates or figs
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried fruit of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread oats and chopped almonds onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add dates/figs to food processor and process until broken up into small bits.
- Transfer dates/figs to a large bowl and add the oats/almonds mixture. Combine and make sure dates/figs are evenly mixed.
- In a small pot, heat almond butter and maple syrup over low heat. Whisk to combine. Once melted and smooth pour over oat mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add in dried fruit.
- Line 8x8 dish with parchment paper.
- Press granola mixture into the 8x8 dish. Pushing down evenly and firmly.
- Cover with more parchment and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and dish, cut into bars.
- To store; wrap in parchment paper and keep in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Hope you enjoy!