Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
This is my first successful adventure into scone baking. For some reason I had it in my brain that scones were finicky and difficult to get right – but these Lemon Blueberry Scones turned out better than I could have hoped. And they were super simple. I’ve actually made these scones three times in the last two weeks because I enjoyed them so much!
Each time I’ve made these lemon blueberry scones I’ve altered the recipe. All three alterations turned out well – it’s just a matter of preference. The first time I used sweetened condensed milk in place of heavy cream. Because of this I lessened the amount of honey I added – only 1 tbsp. They turned out very soft and a little on the sweeter side. If you’re trying to eliminate or lower your sugar intake – these may not be the best route. The condensed milk is quite sweet.
I then tried the scones with Greek yogurt in place of heavy cream. I upped the honey in this batch – to 2 tbsp. If going this route I would even up to 3 tbsp. They were less sweet but still lovely and soft. In this batch I would also recommend lessening the cooking time to just 20 minutes as they browned a little quicker. There was also a slight tang in these scones from the yogurt. Personal preference, I didn’t notice it much but it is a little different than what you might expect.
In the third batch – I finally just used the heavy cream. Again I would use 2-3 tbsp of honey in this one to add some sweetness. But these turned out lovely and soft as well.
Whichever way you choose to go – these ingredients are interchangeable. Just 1/2 cup works for any of the three – heavy cream, condensed milk, or Greek yogurt. Just adjust the amount of honey depending on the route you decide to go.
The recipe that I’ll post below will be the regular heavy cream recipe. Swap out your cream for whichever version you’d like. My favourite was the Greek yogurt – a much healthier version than the condensed milk or heavy cream. And still amazing flavour.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon - whole lemon for zest - half the lemon for juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries - frozen or fresh
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl - whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and zest from the whole lemon.
- Add in coconut oil. Mix with hands. Don't over mix this - you want small lumps of the coconut oil.
- In a separate small bowl - whisk cream, egg, vanilla, honey, and juice from half the lemon.
- Drizzle the liquid mixture over the dry. Combine until all moistened. Don't over mix. Fold in blueberries gently.
- With floured hands (and a floured surface) work into a ball. Press into an 8" disc. Cut into wedges (like a pizza!).
- Transfer onto baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.