I used to believe it would be hard to make the switch to being vegetarian or even vegan. That I would miss all my favourite foods and not have very much variety in my diet. I was so wrong. The world today has a vegan option for almost anything! This Quinoa Taco “Meat” is no exception. Mimicking the texture of ground beef, it’s awesome to use in burrito’s, taco’s or even chili’s.
Quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse and I use it a ton in place of meat and even rice sometimes. It’s pretty neutral on it’s own, but this recipe mixes it with some spices to kick it up a notch. Cooking your quinoa in a low sodium vegetable stock instead of water will help add flavour right at the start.
Boasting 9 grams of protein per 1 cup, quinoa also offers 5 grams of fibre and an assortment of important vitamins and minerals.
Quinoa Taco "Meat"
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Begin by cooking your quinoa in the vegetable broth in a rice cooker or over the stove.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cooked quinoa to a bowl and combine with all other ingredients (salsa & spices).
- Spread evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes (stirring halfway).