Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
I know the Holidays are a time to indulge, to eat and drink waaay more than usual. It’s a time to enjoy your family and friends, not count calories! But don’t throw all your healthy eating habits out the window this Holiday season! It’s easy to incorporate some healthy and delicious side dishes and treats without skipping a beat – and without feeling like you’re missing something! This Quinoa Salad fits the bill. I made this for our early family Christmas dinner this past weekend and it was a huge hit. It does boast some Christmas colours – so it keeps in line with the season.
This Quinoa Salad is a great meal too (maybe for the days following those HUGE Christmas dinners!) with a generous serving of quinoa mixed in – you get lots of protein. It helps the salad really fill you up. But it’s also great as a side dish. For my family dinner – we did a buffet style and had lots of great things to fill our plates. And this went along perfectly.
I added some great roasted brussel sprouts into this – I really love brussel sprouts! These can be roasted in the oven before hand and just tossed into the salad at the end. Roast with a drizzle of olive oil, some garlic, salt, and pepper. Simple and perfect!
It’s easy to prepare most of this salad ahead of time. As I mentioned above, the brussel sprouts can be roasted earlier in the day – or even the day before. Store in the fridge until you’re ready for them. I also cooked the quinoa a couple days ahead and stored in the fridge until show time. A reminder to cook your quinoa in a nice low sodium broth – really ups the flavour!
- 1 head romaine lettuce (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 15 brussel sprouts (roasted)
- 3/4 long english cucumber (cut into quarters)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 pear (diced)
- 1/2 cup crumbled plain goat cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- squeeze of lemon
- pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Let cool before adding to salad.
- Cut off the ends of brussel sprouts and cut in half. Lay out on roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grate small garlic clove over top and mix to coat.
- Roast at 350° for roughly 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Chop all your vegetables into large salad bowl.
- Add in cooled quinoa and brussel sprouts. And toss all together.
- In small jar (or container with tight fitting lid) - grate small to medium sized garlic clove.
- Add in the rest of the dressing ingredients. Attach lid and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle over prepared salad and toss well.