Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
Chicken is a staple in my house. It’s our go-to for most dinners, so naturally, we try to come up with different things to do with it otherwise dinner can become pretty mundane. This is Stuffed Chicken Breasts with goat cheese, mushrooms, and spinach. I absolutely love goat cheese, it’s a wonderful creamy addition and it really helps prevent the chicken from drying out in the oven. It becomes almost like a sauce once it’s warmed, and it’s really delicious with mushrooms and spinach in there as well.
There is a little bit of prep for this dish, but it shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes to get this in the oven. And since we’re cooking the chicken breasts whole (plus a filling) it will take about 45 minutes to fully cook through. I cooked these in a glass baking dish. But it would work great in a cast iron skillet also.
I love the addition of spinach in the filling mixture, It adds that extra protein and fiber to your meal. I do find it easier to use frozen spinach. Thaw this and completely dry it. If it’s moist at all, it will make the filling watery once it warms up in the oven. Fresh spinach can definitely be used, it would just have to be wilted down before being added to the filling.
When creating the pocket for the filling, you want to cut almost the whole length of the chicken breast. But be careful not to cut all the way through as the filling will then leak out. Stuff as much as you can into the breast and I used toothpicks to hold this together while baking. Just remember to pick them out before serving!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup spinach
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- If using frozen spinach, thaw and dry completely.
- Grate garlic into small mixing bowl.
- Add onion, mushrooms, spinach, and goat cheese to garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Carefully cut pocket into the side of each chicken breast ensuring you don't cut all the way through.
- Stuff half of filling into each breast.
- Hold together with toothpicks.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika over top.
- Drizzle with avocado oil or olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remember to remove toothpicks. And serve with your favourite sides.