Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
The holidays are just around the corner. Things are starting to get busy already – organizing family dinners, deciding on menu’s, and of course getting all those Holiday baking ideas ready to go! I’ll be honest about the recipe I’m sharing today – it isn’t my healthiest! These are your more traditional Sugar Cookies. I attempted several recipes trying to create a healthy “not-so-sugar Sugar Cookie” – aaaand it didn’t work. They tasted good – but weren’t what I (and I’m sure many others) will be looking for during the Holidays. So I’m going with the tried and true recipe that we’ve been making in my family for years. It’s a once a year treat!
I was successful, however, in using coconut oil (my favourite) in these cookies instead of butter. The texture of the cookies is quite similar to that of ones made with butter – still soft and flaky. The dough before cooking does remain a little more crumbly than the butter version. Because of this – these are no-roll cookies. Simply portion out, roll into a ball, and flatten slightly with your fingers. If you want to roll out the dough in order to use cookie cutter shapes – simply go back to using butter instead of coconut oil. The measurement will remain the same.
The almond extract combined with vanilla in this recipe is such a lovely combination – and something I look forward to every year in Sugar Cookies.
This dough is one that should be prepared ahead of time. Let it refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using. It should be removed from the fridge roughly 30 minutes before baking. Knead the dough for a few minutes and let it warm up to room temperature.
I’ve not included an icing in this recipe – I think these cookies are strong enough to speak for themselves. They are very sweet on their own and I don’t think they need the extra sugar.
Traditional Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Beat powdered sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, and egg until smooth.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Roll into ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge roughly 30 minutes before handling. Allow to come up to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll a small portion of dough into a ball and place on baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with fingers (don't flatten too much!)
- Place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Edges should only just be starting to golden.
- Let cool.