Health is a journey. While I promote a plant based lifestyle now – these older posts reflect my journey into making healthier choices. I leave these online to support others in making changes and to show that not everything needs to change at once. Take your time and always listen to what’s right for your body.
Christmas has come and gone for another year. I hope everyone had a wonderful time with good food and loved ones! If you’re anything like our house – now you’ll be eating turkey for the rest of the week. But it doesn’t have to be boring. These Turkey Enchiladas are a fantastic way to use up that leftover turkey – and they are so delicious!
I’m not a big fan of leftovers – I’ll be completely honest. I get bored of eating the same thing more than one day in a row. But it’s relatively easy to come up with some fun little twists that use the same ingredients in a different way. I saute some onion, black beans, corn and a few other ingredients – add in some turkey and make them into burritos. It’s perfect!
Especially after the Holidays – not many people are going to feel like cooking up some new and interesting meal. I know how much time I spent in the kitchen this past weekend – it’s nice to take a breather!
These enchiladas are actually great any time of the year with any filling. Using up leftover ground beef or chicken works well. Or cook up some rice and add in lots of veggies for an easy and quick vegetarian meal!
- 2 cups diced leftover turkey
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 tortilla shells (large)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°.
- In skillet over medium heat - drizzle oil. Add in your diced onion, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Saute until softened.
- Add in black beans, corn and diced turkey.
- Sprinkle paprika, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until heated through.
- Prepare a casserole dish - spray with cooking spray.
- Portion filling mixture into each tortilla and roll tightly. Place into dish.
- Spoon tomato sauce evenly over burritos. Sprinkle oregano over each. Top each with both cheeses.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes - really just until the cheese melts.
- Serve with favourite sides! (Avocado, sour cream, salsa YUM!)
What did you think of this Leftover Turkey Enchilada? Did it make your after Christmas dinners a little more exciting?
If you’re still feeling full from all those big meals this weekend – try out this Quinoa Salad to bring some balance back in.